|Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky puts together a care package for U.S. Troops during project sponsored by USO|
I believe that we have a solemn responsibility to those who have risked their lives in defense of the United States. These men and women deserve our respect and our support.
I support legislative initiatives to improve the care and benefits available to our veterans, and I am a leader in the fight against chained CPI which would reduce veterans’ benefits. I am committed to making sure that the Veterans Administration has the resources it needs to carry out its mission to effectively and efficiently care for our veterans and I have linked a series of resources below that I hope will ensure that veterans and their families in the 9th Congressional District can access the services they need and the most relevant information impacting them and their families.
If you have questions that are not answered by the content provided below, please do not hesitate to contact my office, and my staff will be happy to assist you. If you have any suggestions about resources or information that you’d like to see included on this page, I would love to hear from you!
Resources for Veterans
- Veterans Crisis Line – 1-800-273-8255 (press option #1)
- National Call Center for Homeless Veterans – 1-877-424-3838
- Veterans Services Benefits Booklet (Online Edition)
- List of VA Locations in Illinois
- VA Benefits Forms
- VA Center for Women Veterans
- VA Pension Information
- VA Prescription (Rx) Refills
- VA PTSD Resources
- VA Survivors Benefits
- VetCentral (Helping Veterans Find Jobs)
- Voter Assistance for Veterans
- Veterans Support Legal Clinic at the John Marshall Law School
Legislation I Support that Impacts Veterans
- H.R. 553, the Military Surviving Spouses Equity Act, a bill that would prevent surviving spouses from losing the Survivor Pension Benefit annuity – the so-called “Widow’s Tax.”
- H.R. 2094, CHAMPVA Children’s Protection Act, a bill that would increase the maximum age of eligibility from 23 to 26 for certain dependent children of veterans for medical care under the Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs (CHAMPVA).
- H.R. 299, the Blue Water Navy Vietnam Veterans Act, a bill that would include Vietnam’s territorial seas for the purpose of presumption of service connection for diseases associated with exposure by veterans of certain herbicide agents while in Vietnam.
- H.R. 1030, the Military Spouses Equal Treatment Act, a bill that would ensure that if veterans have a spouse of the same-sex, they will be afforded the same benefits as heterosexual spouses.
More on Veterans
Throughout our nation’s history, brave men and women have answered the call of duty and fought to protect our nation and its ideals. On Memorial Day, we come together to honor and remember the servicemembers who gave their lives in defense of this country.
CHICAGO- Today, Congresswoman Schakowsky released the following statement in honor of Veterans Day:
“Today I join with Americans all across the country in honoring our nation’s 21 million veterans for their valiant service. Veterans Day is a time to recognize those who served and those who gave their lives to protect our freedoms. Veterans and their families have won our gratitude for the sacrifices they have made to protect the well-being and security of our country.
Chicago – Today, Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky (IL-09) released the following statement in honor of Memorial Day, which will be observed on Monday, May 30:
Chicago – Today, Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky (D-IL) released the following statement after awarding World War II medals to 102 year old Skokie resident LT. CantorDavid Brandhandlerlast week:
CHICAGO – Rep. Jan Schakowsky released the following statement in honor of Veterans Day:
“This Veterans Day we pay our deepest respects to our nation’s brave veterans and the tremendous sacrifices they have made on behalf of the United States. We remember those we’ve lost, who fought and served to protect our freedom. We must also remember the families of these veterans – they too have made sacrifices while their loved ones risked their lives for the good of our country.