|Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky puts together a care package for U.S. Troops during project sponsored by USO|
I believe that we have a solemn responsibility to those who have risked their lives in defense of the United States. These men and women deserve our respect and our support.
I support legislative initiatives to improve the care and benefits available to our veterans, and I am a leader in the fight against chained CPI which would reduce veterans’ benefits. I am committed to making sure that the Veterans Administration has the resources it needs to carry out its mission to effectively and efficiently care for our veterans and I have linked a series of resources below that I hope will ensure that veterans and their families in the 9th Congressional District can access the services they need and the most relevant information impacting them and their families.
If you have questions that are not answered by the content provided below, please do not hesitate to contact my office, and my staff will be happy to assist you. If you have any suggestions about resources or information that you’d like to see included on this page, I would love to hear from you!
Resources for Veterans
- Veterans Crisis Line – 1-800-273-8255 (press option #1)
- National Call Center for Homeless Veterans – 1-877-424-3838
- Veterans Services Benefits Booklet (Online Edition)
- List of VA Locations in Illinois
- VA Benefits Forms
- VA Center for Women Veterans
- VA Pension Information
- VA Prescription (Rx) Refills
- VA PTSD Resources
- VA Survivors Benefits
- VetCentral (Helping Veterans Find Jobs)
- Voter Assistance for Veterans
- Veterans Support Legal Clinic at the John Marshall Law School
Legislation I Support that Impacts Veterans
- H.R. 553, the Military Surviving Spouses Equity Act, a bill that would prevent surviving spouses from losing the Survivor Pension Benefit annuity – the so-called “Widow’s Tax.”
- H.R. 2094, CHAMPVA Children’s Protection Act, a bill that would increase the maximum age of eligibility from 23 to 26 for certain dependent children of veterans for medical care under the Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs (CHAMPVA).
- H.R. 299, the Blue Water Navy Vietnam Veterans Act, a bill that would include Vietnam’s territorial seas for the purpose of presumption of service connection for diseases associated with exposure by veterans of certain herbicide agents while in Vietnam.
- H.R. 1030, the Military Spouses Equal Treatment Act, a bill that would ensure that if veterans have a spouse of the same-sex, they will be afforded the same benefits as heterosexual spouses.
More on Veterans
John McCain was a patriot, a statesman, and a hero.
"Every Fourth of July I march in as many parades as I can. I love every minute of it. The patriotism and pride, the recognition of our armed forces’ service, the families dressed in red, white, and blue honoring the country they love. Going from parade to parade I see the faces of the ninth district, one of the most beautifully diverse in the country, coming together despite cultural, racial, and religious differences to celebrate this holiday.
“On this Memorial Day, we honor and remember all those who have given their lives in service to this country. We recall all the brave women and men of every color and creed who have served to protect our country and our freedom.
Today Rep. Jan Schakowsky, a Chief Deputy Whip, released the following video statement to celebrate Veterans Day 2017: